CSL has released its sixth annual Corporate Sustainability Report, detailing the company’s 2018 performance and progress on its short and long-term sustainability goals.
The report covers CSL’s results and ongoing initiatives in the areas of governance, safety, environmental responsibility, ethics, the workplace, community engagement, and value for customers.
“For the past six years, our Corporate Sustainability Report has been a testament of our steadfast commitment to conducting our business in a safe, responsible and ethical manner,” said Louis Martel, President and CEO, The CSL Group.
“We don’t merely aim to do the right thing for our employees, customers and communities, we hold ourselves publicly accountable by tracking and publishing our progress and accomplishments year after year.”
Notable highlights of the 2018 report include:
- The implementation of Lifesaving Rules and expanded SafePartners programme contributed to reducing lost time and total frequency of injuries by 15 percent and 17% respectively, compared to 2017.
- CSL achieved a 9% increase in general waste recycling from vessels and reduced incinerated waste by 34% as a result of decommissioning incinerators in the Canadian fleet.
- CSL continued to improve its Green Marine performance and achieved a level 4 out of 5 in the new underwater noise performance indicator.
- The crew of CSL Welland was recognised by Canada’s Minister of Transport and the U.S. Coast Guard for saving a life during a rescue operation. CSL increased its global presence in the seaborne cement powder and fly ash markets by acquiring.
- 50% of Eureka Shipping Ltd., SMT Shipping’s pneumatic cement vessel business. A 50/50 joint venture was also formed with Hartmann to build and operate two gravity self-unloading ships.
- CSL donated approximately 1% of total net profit in 2018 to charitable causes and disaster relief.
The 2018 Report was prepared using the Global Reporting Initiative’s G4 Sustainability Guidelines as a reference. The areas in which the report aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals were also noted.
Read the article online at: https://www.drybulkmagazine.com/shipping/05072019/csl-releases-latest-corporate-sustainability-report/
You might also like
The Association of American Railroads (AAR) has reported US rail traffic for the week ending 28 January 2023, as well as volumes for January 2023.