Skip to main content

AAR releases its latest North American rail activity report

Published by
Dry Bulk,


The Association of American Railroads (AAR) has reported its North American rail traffic activity data for the week ending 23 January 2021.

For the week ending 23 January, total US weekly rail traffic was 529 030 carloads and intermodal units (up 9% compared with the same week last year).

Total carloads for the week amounted to 230 979 carloads (down 0.7% compared with the same week in 2020), while US weekly intermodal volumes comprised 298 051 containers and trailers (up 17.8% compared to 2020).

Five of the 10 carload commodity groups posted an increase compared with the same week in 2020. They included: grain (up 5481 carloads to 27 295); chemicals (up 846 carloads to 32 140); and forest products (up 603 carloads to 10 192). Commodity groups that posted decreases compared with the same week in 2020 included: coal (down 4 949 carloads, to 63 474); non-metallic minerals (down 2672 carloads to 25 233); and petroleum and petroleum products (down 1139 carloads to 12 522).

For the first three weeks of 2021, US railroads reported cumulative volume of 698 933 carloads (down 1.4% from the same point last year) and 883 897 intermodal units (up 13.6% from last year). Total combined US traffic for the first three weeks of 2021 was 1.58 million carloads and intermodal units (an increase of 6.5% compared to last year).

North American rail volume for the week ending 23 January 2021 – based on 12 reporting US, Canadian, and Mexican railroads – totalled 334 360 carloads (up 0.4% compared with the same week last year) and 389 102 intermodal units (up 14.4% compared with last year). Total combined weekly rail traffic in North America was 723 462 carloads and intermodal units (up 7.4%). North American rail volume for the first three weeks of 2021 was 2.15 million carloads and intermodal units (up 6.3% compared with 2020).

Canadian railroads reported 82 307 carloads for the week (up 1.6%) and 73 769 intermodal units (up 7.2% compared with the same week in 2020). For the first three weeks of 2021, Canadian railroads reported cumulative rail traffic volume of 468 093 carloads, containers, and trailers (up 8.8%).

Mexican railroads reported 21 074 carloads for the week (up 7.4% compared with the same week last year) and 17 282 intermodal units (down 5.9%). Cumulative volume on Mexican railroads for the first three weeks of 2021 was 108 348 carloads, intermodal containers, and trailers (down 4.8% from the same point last year).

Read the article online at: https://www.drybulkmagazine.com/rail-barge/29012021/aar-releases-its-latest-north-american-rail-activity-report/

You might also like

 
 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):


 

This article has been tagged under the following:

Dry bulk freight news Grain cargo news Minor bulks news Dry cargo news