The United Cement Co. of Nigeria, UNICEM, has commissioned a new cement plant 2 at Mfamosing, in Cross River State, Nigeria. LOESCHE received the order for two vertical roller mills: one type LM 60.4 for grinding cement raw material and one LM 70.4+4 CS.
The cement plant at Mfamosing is fully operational and equipped with the latest technology. The 2.5 million tpy capacity was extended using LOESCHE technology. The LOESCHE mill type LM 70.4+4 CS has been designed for a capacity of more than 370 tph with a fineness of 4700 Blaine. Using this new technology meant that a new drive system was necessary. RENK AG Augsburg and LOESCHE GmbH Düsseldorf established this, resulting in a COPE (Compact Planetary Electrical) drive. COPE was designed for mill drive powers ranging from 4000 kW to 15 000 kW. The fast-running and error-prone first stage gear of conventional gearboxes became obsolete.
The COPE gearbox is equipped with 8 individual drive units, which are designed for a capacity of 8.800 kW.
Other features included:
- Equal size as standard drive units for vertical roller mills and thus exchange of existing, conventional gearboxes eminently suitable.
- First use of a 8 drive units for a VRM gearbox.
- First time multiple drive in VRM to operate with or without VFD (Variable Frequency Drive).
- Easy removal of individual drive units to minimise down times (approximately 2 hr).
- Compact design with motors directly attached to gearbox housing.
Read the article online at: https://www.drybulkmagazine.com/material-handling/29112016/unicem-commissions-cement-plant/